[Geany-Devel] Future of THANKS/contributors list inside help dialog

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Mar 19 17:37:33 UTC 2017

On 12/03/17 22:13, Jiří Techet wrote:
> Hi Lex,
>
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 12:58 AM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I think these actually are po updates mostly - even though you commit
>> them,
>>> git shows the author of the patch, not the committer and there definitely
>>> weren't Geany code patches merged from 42 different people last year.
>>
>> Translators ARE contributors, if anybody is listed they should be too.
>>
>> This is one of my BIG objections to some projects, you are only
>> considered worthwhile if you contribute to code.  Documentation,
>> translation, testing, those who submit bug reports that we then fix,
>> even those who submit feature suggestions that get implemented by
>> others, packagers, all of those are worthwhile contributors to
>> improving Geany, but not all of them will show up in git. Projects
>> that ignore those people just look like unappreciative gits (pun
>> intended).  [end rant]
>

> actually after re-reading Frank's email I realized I misunderstood what he
> was saying - I thought he said there were 42 contributors last year "not
> counting po file updates" (i.e. non-translators, just code contributors)
> but he said "not counting po file updates committed by myself" (that is
> without a few extra ones he committed on behalf of the translators). So I
> was pointing just to what I thought was an error in the counts of code
> contributors - I absolutely didn't want to say that translators aren't
> contributors and sorry if I made that impression.
>
> What Enrico suggests about exporting git history and adding other
> contributors from the past sounds good to me. I think it's almost
> guaranteed someone will be missed but the THANKS file will be more
> up-to-date than now.

Full ACK.
I'm also worried about forgetting someone but also don't think we can
really ensure to not forget anyone. But we can try to minimize the risk.

> Maybe a suggestion - instead of linking to the THANKS file to github (URLs
> can change, etc.), the THANKS file could be installed together with Geany
> and the About dialog could just read it and add it as a string to the
> Contributors section. I can write the patch.

Sounds fine to me.