[Geany-Devel] Future of THANKS/contributors list inside help dialog

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Mar 12 11:09:17 UTC 2017

On 12 March 2017 at 20:59, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> On 10/03/17 01:01, Lex Trotman wrote:

> [...]
>
>>> And, as Jiri said, keep a few names manually maintained like those who
>>> didn't contributed code/translations directly via GIT or in pre-GIT times.
>>
>> And non-git like bug reporters and feature suggesters, and testers and
>> packagers and ...
>
> Yes, absolutely.
> We could fill the THANKS file from GIT history, merged PRs, closed
> issues and so get already many people to credit.
> Furthermore, we still need to manually maintain a list of people who
> contributed in at least one of the following ways:
> - mailing list (patches, requests, ideas, discussions, ...)
> - old pre-GIT contributions
> - any other input we received and want to credit which is not visible on
> Github
>
> I think the overhead of the manual editing is not that high and with
> auto-generating the majority of the list we can ensure to not easily
> forget someone.
>
> Of course, the list is getting huge then but IMO that's better than not
> listing anyone.

As my rant indicated, I agree with that.  My only worry is missing
people, I'm sure it will always be a last minute thing before release,
and then people get forgotten.

> Furthermore, I'd vote for *not* listing email addresses of contributors
> in the THANKS file as they tend to get obsolete and make it email
> address harvesters too easy to find the addresses.

Totally agree with that, even though many email addresses will be
visible from other sources, we shouldn't be propogating them without
explicit permission.