[Geany-Devel] Future of THANKS/contributors list inside help dialog

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Mar 9 21:14:35 UTC 2017

On 09/03/17 14:56, Frank Lanitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently we have apart of the git list itself two places where we have
> added contributors in past, but which look quiet orphaned nowadays:
>
> The contributors-dialog on Geany->Help:
>
> https://github.com/geany/geany/blob/master/src/about.c
>
> and the THANKS-file inside / of the source tree:
>
> https://github.com/geany/geany/blob/master/THANKS
>
> As we got a huge amount of contributors¹ all should get their kudos and
> now I'm wondering how we can go on in future with it. There are
> contributors for translations, code, documentation, community things
> like support, donations (money) etc.

My two cents:
remove the translators and contributors lists from the About dialog and
replace the lists by a link to the THANKS file on Github and add a note
to find the THANKS file in the source distribution.

Then keep the THANKS file up to date by generating it from GIT history,
maybe with excluding our own names (feels weird to thank yourself :D).
And, as Jiri said, keep a few names manually maintained like those who
didn't contributed code/translations directly via GIT or in pre-GIT times.

This way we would have one place where contributors are listed for their
kudos and the maintenance burden is hopefully low enough.