[Geany-Devel] ada parser missing

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Feb 23 15:00:42 UTC 2017

On 24 February 2017 at 00:11, anders andersen <gtokunog at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Before you release 1.30:
>
> 1. Ada parser in ctags directory does not exist.

Correct.

> 2. Can you use this one instead? https://github.com/universal-ctags/ctags

Probably, but parsers don't integrate themselves, Geany has to know
what information the parser produces. Somebody has to produce a pull
request doing that.  Even if somebody provided a good pull request its
unlikely that it would be accepted with release only a week and a bit
away.  Even the latest update to Scintilla looks like it won't be
included before release.

Whoever makes the pull request should take their time do a good job
and target the next release around mid year.

> 3. The universal-ctags does have an Ada parser.
>
> 4. Can you make the description field in the pipe format active?

What do you mean by "active"?

> I've tried to produce an ada ctags file but it does not work. I've used the
> pipe format.
> So I looked (tag manager ) and I could not see an ada parser. Does it
> matter?

Well strictly it doesn't matter, but Geany has to know what types of
symbols a language produces.  And as noted above thats usually part of
incorporating a parser, so in practice no parser means no tags usage.