[Geany-Devel] Helping Geany move forward: testing

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Apr 29 03:42:58 UTC 2017

As an exercise I scanned the top few (highest numbered) PRs to assess
their commitability from MY personal point of view, found one
immediately committable and did, the rest are:

#1482 still open question if it should revert to previous bad behaviour.

#1481 work in progress

#1478 improvement suggested but commitable then

#1471 havn't had time to look closely, lots of files modified (ok many
are icons, but still) and not a feature that I would test in my
workflow

#1470 havn't looked at it closely, but at first glance its ok, has an
open "cannot reproduce" on a test report, but I don't use snippets, so
it would only get cursory testing by me

#1465 I have only a vague idea what its doing and no idea how to test
it other than compiling it (which Travis has already done)

#1461 and #1457 work in progress

#1456 simply havn't had time to look at it

#1450 suggested wiki instead of adding to core as others have
criticised adding more small filetypes to Geany, undecided

#1445 review tantrum (see comments on it) :)

#1430 has unfixed comments and Travis failures

#1414 support the idea, but its a big change, in a sensitive area
(writing files safely is the PRIMARY purpose of an editor), and I
don't have any networked files to test with.  Also although it
explicitly doesn't change handling on Windows it would need testing to
make sure it didn't accidentally break something there.

#1402 don't know VHDL and testing it would need testing it didn't
affect anything else so time issues and needs actual test material

#1400 still has a review open (though the changes have been made I
think) simply needs time to test there are no unexpected effects of
the signal change

That will do, spent more time than I wanted already.  I guess there
are only a couple that are specifically testing related.  Some more
are due to the problem Matthew pointed out, don't want to break
master, so cautious of complex seeming changes.  The rest are in the
OPs court.