[Geany-Devel] New Direction for Geany

Steven Blatnick steve8track at xxxxx
Mon Apr 3 16:41:10 UTC 2017

I agree, but what about the plugins?

Maybe we can change the plugins to work like chrome, where you can't
influence the already perfect UI.  You can only add a menu entry to a
button placed firmly on the top far right of the window.

We could also learn from firefox, and make many improvements:

  * Make multiple plugin architectures, that all supersede one another
    but contain features, dependencies, and abilities that other method
    don't support.
  * Make the latest plugin architecture stripped and devoid of
    functionality, announcing to everyone that it the direction we want
    to go.
  * Make sure the older plugin architectures will be deprecated in the
    near future.
  * Make all of the plugins key off of the software version for
    compatibility, only compatible with minor version changes shown by
    the numbers after the decimal.
  * Change eeany's versioning to only update major versions ever couple
    of weeks, making all plugins incompatible frequently, and only the
    most diligent ones will stick around.  We want our version to jump
    as fast as possible, so we can appear to be progressing like the
    other software developers, with large numbers like eeany 51.
  * We should strip out long standing features (like firefox is doing
    with java applets and other plugins) to simplify what we support,
    with no option to keep using those features unless they modify a
    config file manually, which will go away in the next version.
  * We should warn users if a file is insecure, such as containing any
    passwords or sensitive information.  (Based on the previous email,
    we could also send the data up to HQ in clear text for our archives,
    maybe auto-mail it to this mailing list.)
  * We should change all buttons and UI elements to be very tablet
    friendly.  The bigger the buttons, the better.  Make a onscreen
    keyboard the default.  We all know tablets are the future of computers.

Learning from Gnome 3 developers, we could:

  * Hide notifications to not be as distracting
  * Allow themes in CSS, but offer little documentation.
  * Make sure there are two types of eeany code, some components using
    GTK2, others using GTK3, that run together but are not themed the same.
  * Make sure GTK3 components have no customization features out of the
    box, unless via a eeany tweak tool made and maintained by third
    parties.  The customization should be minimal, as we decide what is
    best for the users.
  * Force users to update to our latest eeany, because even though it's
    a rewrite to a whole new interface and design method, we need to
    make it as obnoxious to stay in their older version as possible, and
    require any forks to have to do any considerable rewrite to not
    conflict.

Learning from SystemD, we could:

  * Make sure there are race conditions on startup, such as requiring
    specific users and groups at the wrong times, leaving services in a
    broken state.
  * Make eeany run as a service and only log to journalctl.

Learning from Ubuntu Unity and Compiz:

  * We could strip out features we don't want but are highly popular.
  * Make sure all current developers no longer want to work on the
    project (like compiz), in favor of wayland, which any year now might
    be used by someone, somewhere, and supports rendering on the
    graphics card.  This will require a whole eeany rewrite, so we may
    as well abandon support until wayland becomes mainstream, or quantum
    computing is common, whichever happens last.
  * Put all menus on the left edge of eeany, and make them large icons
    that show active features with a barely noticeable little marking.
    Make sure that the buttons aren't visible on some graphics cards.
  * Make any of the buttons when clicked take over the rest of the screen.
  * Any button pressed should show all features in eeany searchable from
    a search field by specific feature name.

I'm sure I missed some great design decisions, but you get the idea.

Steve

Also, learning from firefox, we should