[Geany-Devel] Toggle menu and status bars

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Thu Jul 7 00:50:08 UTC 2016

On 2016-07-06 05:37 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> We could add the hamburger button to the toolbar so it could hide the menu.

Not everyone has the toolbar visible. And it'd have to be visible in the
default toolbar layout (-1) or else people who do have it visible
wouldn't realize they had to customize the toolbar in order to get their
menu back. Additionally, anyone who has already customized their toolbar
would have to somehow get their toolbar.xml file overridden by the
default one. Otherwise, we'd have to add special code to add it
unconditionally to the toolbar when the menu is hidden, which would
require special casing to ensure it's not overflowed off of the toolbar
and such. Of course then people would want preferences to disable that
behaviour, etc.

IMO, adding a "Show Menu" item to the right-click menus is a simple and
effective way to restore a lost menu bar.

P.S. Personally I have no reason to hide the main menu, I just put the
message window on the right to use all that wasted screen-estate,
leaving ample vertical space for the menu/toolbar/code.