[Geany-Devel] Toggle menu and status bars

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Jul 2 09:28:06 UTC 2016

On 2 July 2016 at 19:08, Vasiliy Faronov <vfaronov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Most of the time, when using Geany, I don't need the menu and status
> bars; they are just noise. But occasionally I want to check the status
> bar (e.g. for the line/column number) or browse the menu. So I want to
> toggle their visibility with a keystroke.
>
> I wrote a simple plugin for that: https://github.com/vfaronov/geany-togglebars
>
> The problem is, the menu and status bars are not exposed in
> geany.main_widgets, so I have to find them manually, which makes the
> plugin brittle as it relies on a specific window layout.

Unfortunately yes.

> Perhaps there is a better way to do it?
>
> Perhaps the menu and status bars should be exposed in main_widgets?

Well, you can make a pull request and see what happens.

> Or perhaps this feature should be in Geany core? We already have
> keybindings for the sidebar and the messages pane. There is some
> discussion in issue #633, but I'm not sure what to make of it.

It got a bit side-tracked, but basically the opinion of several Geany
devs is that hiding the menu is a bad idea.  It has been discussed in
other places as well, but I can't find it ATM.

In general your plugin is probably the best, though a way of hiding
the menu that was not in the menu and unbound by default might be
accepted.