[Geany-Devel] RFC: Merge C and C++ Filetypes (no troll)

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Thu Jan 7 22:35:17 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 11:14 PM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8 January 2016 at 08:00, Jiří Techet <techet at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 9:23 PM, Thomas Martitz <kugel at rockbox.org>
> wrote:

> .h
> even,

> it
> >>>

> >> Not replying to Jiří specifically.
> >>
> >> -1. .h is legitimately a C, it's just that many people get it wrong.
> And I
> >> don't want C++ keywords highlighted in C headers while they are not
> >> highlighted it C source files. This is just confusing.
> >

> > I agree with Matthew here - I think the "damage" caused by parsing C
> headers
> > with the C++ parser/lexer is much smaller than vice versa. Actually a few
> > months back a user of my ProjectOrganizer plugin wrote me just because of
> > that - he had a C++ project with "h" headers and was surprised that tag
> > generation didn't work for him.
> >
> > I created (a highly sophisticated) pull request here:
> >
> > https://github.com/geany/geany/pull/857
> >
> > Power users can always add *.h back to C types but I think having it in
> C++
> > is a better default.
>
> As the failing tests show, better have a BIG warning about breaking
> change if we do this.

Fixed now.

Actually the tests "failed" because the tested files were C++ headers and
the previously-generated tags files were incorrect because of the used C
parser. So yeah, BEWARE USERS, HEADERS MIGHT BE PARSED CORRECTLY :-)

Jiri