[Geany-Devel] Zombified pull requests

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Jan 6 12:09:47 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-06 03:47 AM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> On 6 January 2016 at 20:44, Thomas Martitz <kugel at rockbox.org> wrote:
>> [...]
>> I agree that PRs should be merged earlier, with possible fix-up/follow-up
>> commits in a new PR. This way changes acutally get the testing they need.
>
> The problem with a development branch and with making master more
> buggy/less stable is that they will be used less, since its dangerous
> to use them day to day.  So the testing will go down even more.

I personally don't mind the odd bug cropping up here and there on a
project which I actively contribute and keep up to date with the
bleeding-edge development code. Of course if you're doing
mission-critical stuff, you don't want to be using the bleeding-edge,
potentially buggy code anyway, the latest release from your distro is
much less likely to cause grief.

>>> 6. Monster PRs [...]
>>
>> Yes, monster PRs are difficult to deal with [...]
>
> You are right that individual commits on a monster PR don't help much
> unless they can be reviewed, tested and committed individually.
>
> The way massive changes are handled on Julia is for the OP to put up a
> PR (or just an issue) with a list of the steps required for the whole
> change.  Individual PRs that make preparatory changes then refer to
> this so there is a context for them and they can be smaller and easier
> to review/test.

+1

>>> 7. Lack of committers/commits [...]
>>
>> I agree. The more the merrier, if it helps spreading the workload. Jiří is
>> an awesome candidate, especially since he's the official MAC guy.
>>
>> I'd volunteer as well. However, given how I'm constantly failing to do good
>> PRs initially or even after 2 or 3 revisions (by Colomban's standards), I'm
>> not sure I'm suitable.
>
> The MOST important thing for a commiter is not killer programming
> skills, its maturity.  Can the person be trusted to not commit their
> own PRs without others agreement?  Can the person be patient enough to
> wait for comments and other people to test, not everybody is available
> every day. Does the person understand their own limits, will they ask
> before committing to an area they have never touched before?  Having
> commit rights is not about getting the persons own PRs into Geany, its
> about getting others changes in.

+1

> So if you think you can handle the above, I don't see why both you and
> Jiri would not be acceptable (assuming Jiri is interested, I don't
> know if he was asked :).

+1