[Geany-Devel] Zombified pull requests

Thomas Martitz kugel at xxxxx
Wed Jan 6 11:48:24 UTC 2016

Am 06.01.2016 um 12:39 schrieb Matthew Brush:
> On 2016-01-06 02:44 AM, Thomas Martitz wrote:
>> Am 06.01.2016 um 04:32 schrieb Matthew Brush:
>>>
>>> Agree, I sometimes avoid putting LGTM when I think something is a good
>>> idea, because I don't want to give the impression that I have (or even
>>> will) reviewed or tested it. Maybe just a "thumbs up" could mean "good
>>> idea, though I haven't reviewed or tested it"?
>>>

>> Github is a terrible code review platforms. Other platforms do much
>> better:
>> 1) Differentiate between [x] I have reviewed [x] I have tested [x] I
>> like the change (no test or review)
>> 2) Handle updated changesets without losing comments, to the point that
>> you can even browse older revisions
>>
>> 1) is a problem for reviewers and 2) is a problem for everyone
>>
>> There are a lot of other, much better code review systems, but I guess
>> we're stuck with github (bought into proprietary solution, anyone?)
>>

> Not strictly. Given enough demand, and buy-in, we could switch to most
> other such tools. We do have adequate hosting for something better,
> though I doubt there's much desire to switch to a solution that
> doesn't support Git as the VCS. For the most part I find Github to be
> basically adequate myself, though it's not without issues.

Github itself is fine, it's just its code review solution is seriously
lacking. I also didn't mean to question git, or the use of it. I'm
saying there are lots of better alternatives in the code review space,
however I'm not sure if any of them integrates well with github if you
still use it for hosting, issue tracking and pull requests (assuming
pull requests via github would still be accepted).

Best regards.