[Geany-Devel] New Lexer

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Fri Jan 1 19:15:56 UTC 2016

Hi,

Le 01/01/2016 18:09, Mark Robinson a écrit :
> Hi Guys,
>
> Some time ago, I asked how I go about adding a new filetype/language
> to Geany called DMAP.  You kindly told me first to request a new
> lexer be added to upstream Scintilla, which I did, and it was
> accepted (it was added to Scintilla 3.3.7).
>
> Geany has moved to a Scintilla 3.6.1, which indeed contains the new
> language.  However, when I look in the ~/geany-1.26/scintilla/lexers
> directory, I do not see the lexer's file (LexDMAP.cxx).  In fact, the
> Geany build does not contain many of the Scintilla files.  Is this
> because only the files that are used are placed in the Geany build?
>
> Sorry if this seems like a naïve question (which it is), but if I now
> move to add a new filetype to Geany, will the references to the
> "missing" Scintilla source be handled automatically or is there
> something I need to do? - I don't want to mess things up.

Yes, only the used lexers are imported from Scintilla.  To add a new
one, just copy if from Scintilla's one, list it in src/Catalogue.cxx [1]
and in the build system and start using it.  It's mostly well documented
in the "Syntax Highlighting" section (under "Adding a filetype") of
HACKING in Geany's source tree.

Feel free to ask about any further details if you're unsure about something.

Regards,
Colomban

[1] well, actually the best way would be to edit the
scintilla/scintilla_changes.patch patch and run the update script, but
that's not yet documented and can be tricky if you're not familiar with
unified diff format.