[Geany-Devel] [FT-plugins] Proposed Design

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Aug 31 00:44:58 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-30 06:24 AM, Colomban Wendling wrote:
> Le 29/08/2016 à 02:47, Matthew Brush a écrit :
>> […]
>>
>> To give an idea, the registration function called by plugins might look
>> something like this:
>>
>>     gboolean ftplugin_register_provider(GeanyPlugin*,
>>         GeanyFiletypeID, GeanyFiletypeFeature, GCallback, gpointer);
>
> Maybe we could simply use GSignals?  Something like
>
>> [...]
>
> Just a though, and seeing some of the questions raised further down
> might suggest it's not flexible enough, but using the GSignal mechanism
> we already have at hand seemed like at least a good idea to consider.

It's a good thought, and I did consider it, but I believe for it to
work, we would have to store an object of a different GObject type for
each combination of Filetype and Feature, so that each object could have
their distinct signals installed in their classes and be connected to.
Otherwise we'd have to provide some kind of DSL embedded inside the
signal-name like property notifications (ex. `c::autocomplete`) or
something, and have Filetype*Feature signals for the GeanyObject.