[Geany-Devel] [FT-plugins] Proposed "Features"

Thomas Martitz kugel at xxxxx
Mon Aug 29 09:30:18 UTC 2016

Am 29.08.2016 um 05:14 schrieb Matthew Brush:
> Hi All,
>
> Related to my previous mail, and assuming it is somewhat reasonable, I
> would like to propose a list of initial features that will be useful
> to allow plugins to provide, in no particular order:

I disagree with this approach. This adds per use case hooks to plugins,
which then became part of the stable API. I don't think that we have to
codify every single use case of tags into the plugins. That's just
making it harder (maybe impossible?) to change or add use cases.

I thought we agreed that plugin should simply provide tags to Geany/TM
and then Geany uses them for various purposes as it sees fit (possibly
depending on user preferences), even if it means to extend TM in a few
places.

Sorry, I will not support the approach you are suggesting, until it's
clear to me that it's not doable otherwise. Instead, we should inspect
each use case and locate exact requirements for "tag passing".

PS: highlighting and tags are generally separated topics. With custom
filetypes we can have highlighting even if we don't have a parser. I'd
rather not mix highlighting in this TM-related topics. Though I could
imagine we could make it work with some magic tags that provide keywords
to be highlighted, or just simply make use of dynamic lexers.

Best regards.