[Geany-Devel] [FT-plugins] Proposed Design

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Aug 29 02:06:28 UTC 2016

On 29 August 2016 at 11:09, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> On 2016-08-28 05:47 PM, Matthew Brush wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> To give an idea, the registration function called by plugins might look
>> something like this:
>>
>>     gboolean ftplugin_register_provider(GeanyPlugin*,
>>         GeanyFiletypeID, GeanyFiletypeFeature, GCallback, gpointer);
>>
>> [...]
>

> I forgot to mention, it may turn out that in order to provide a feature,
> there may be a need for multiple callbacks (ex. activate, deactivate,
> init_styles, prepare_list, whatever). If this ends up being the case, we
> would need to either pass a table of callbacks here or perhaps a GObject
> implementing a particular interface or whatever.

Yeah its detailed design, but one thing to consider is that the API
should be one that is simple to use from ALL likely languages with
minimum effort and binding/boilerplate. I would suggest the current
likely language list is C, C++, Python and Vala (to make Matthew happy
:).