[Geany-Devel] [FT-plugins] Allowing plugins to supply filetype specific functionality

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sat Aug 27 15:53:29 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-27 12:38 AM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> [...]
>> My proposition is that people without time or knowledge not contribute to
>> the development of this enhancement. Of course everyone would be able to
>> comment on stuff as it is merged back into master, but only those willing to
>> actively develop the solutions have any kind of strong voice during the
>> actual development.
>>

> That approach is very likely to produce a commit/merge bomb, a big
> complex change that only those intimately involved with have looked
> at, discussed, reviewed or tested.
>
> [...]

Without responding to each thing, the idea behind adding those
guidelines was to avoid the problems we have currently whenever trying
to make any large changes. The current way is broken and isn't conducive
to more than one person actively working on the code and others just
pointing out mistakes from their armchair. I wanted to encourage active
(ie. code-based) participation rather than one person doing all of the
coding in a silo.

Using a separate branch means that every single little thing merged
doesn't have to be perfect, stable, ready to release. It would be a work
in progress branch that everyone interested is working on code for. It
would avoid the current massive PR bomb where everything needs to be
100% complete. This is why I said those minor comments wouldn't be
wanted early on. Rather than nitpicking minor details, one could just
push a commit fixing them (if non-controversial) or make a PR showing
alternatives. That's what I meant by letting the code do the talking.

>>> [...]
>>>

>>> I didn't know you could do that, how?
>
> You forgot to explain how to do this.

It's just making a PR the usual way, except when doing the web-based
part, you choose a different fork rather than Geany's main repo. The web
UI isn't super intuitive, but it's not hard at all. If you want to test
it out, feel free to make some testing PRs against one of my repos. I'll
just close them afterwards, no biggie.