[Geany-Devel] Autocomplete on the fly

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Tue Apr 26 01:09:43 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-25 03:15 PM, Arthur Peka wrote:
> You seem to misunderstand me. I mean autocompletion without pressing
> anything. Like it happens in *any *proper IDE - Eclipse, IDEA, VS Code -
> you name it. You *don't* loose seconds to press some key combination there.
> It happens as you type. I suppose that's not supported in Geany?

Geany's behaviour is as expected; you type some number of prefix
characters (Lex mentioned the pref. that controls it), and it offers a
list of suggestions. If the selected suggestion is the one you want,
press Enter and it will be completed, otherwise keep typing and the list
is narrowed until the completion you want is available (or not) and then
press Enter to accept it. It's basically the same as all editors/IDEs
I've used which offer auto-completion (QtCreator, VisualStudio,
Code::Blocks, SublimeText).

Maybe you disabled autocompletion or messed with one of the related
settings? You can run Geany with the -c argument, passing some new
directory there and Geany will write out a fresh config which you can
use to test that.