[Geany-Devel] spawn_kill_process TERM or KILL?

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Wed Sep 23 17:34:34 UTC 2015

On 23.9.2015 г. 01:42, Lex Trotman wrote:

> On 23 September 2015 at 00:35, Dimitar Zhekov<dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> Should spawn_kill_process send a SIGTERM or SIGKILL to the child under *nix?
>>
>> - SIGTERM lets the child exit gracefully, removing temporary files etc.
>
> This says it all, blasting a process and possibly leaving the build
> system in an unknown state is a "bad thing" (tm).
>
> [...]
>
> Does Windows have a sigterm equivalent?  We should not make Linux
> worse to match Windows.

The standard API doesn't AFAIK. Being "Windows", it's assumed that the
used will close the program window for a graceful exit.

It's actually better that way. Tons of misbehaving crap lives under
Win~1, and I'd imagine all of it will reject a request for termination
if given the chance. :)

On 23.9.2015 г. 03:15, Matthew Brush wrote:

 > For now we could do something like:
 >
 > /** @deprecated @see spawn_terminate_process() */
 > gboolean spawn_kill_process(GPid pid, GError **error) {
 > return spawn_terminate_process(pid, error);
 > }

The name is half-right - it does kill the process under Windows, and
actually *asks* it to terminate under POSIX... Also, since both kill(1)
and kill(2) are "kill", but you can send any signal, I see no compelling
reason to change the name.

--
E-gards: Jimmy