[Geany-Devel] spawn_kill_process TERM or KILL?

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Sep 23 00:15:49 UTC 2015

On 15-09-22 03:42 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> On 23 September 2015 at 00:35, Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, all,
>>
>> Should spawn_kill_process send a SIGTERM or SIGKILL to the child under *nix?
>>
>> - SIGTERM lets the child exit gracefully, removing temporary files etc.
>
> This says it all, blasting a process and possibly leaving the build
> system in an unknown state is a "bad thing" (tm).
>
> [...]

Agree SIGTERM sounds more polite. I think well behaved DEs (or is it in
the window manager?) will prompt you to really kill a process if it's
not responding, so we could leave that to them.

>> [...]
>

>> - the API name is "kill", not terminate.
>
> Its too late to change it now if its in the API.

For now we could do something like:

     /** @deprecated @see spawn_terminate_process() */
     gboolean spawn_kill_process(GPid pid, GError **error) {
         return spawn_terminate_process(pid, error);
     }