[Geany-Devel] About Malloc memory for each tab?

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Oct 9 21:45:48 UTC 2015

On 10 October 2015 at 05:05, Pengfei Sun <shaotian330 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am always using geany, but now this is the first time I prepare to look at
> geany source code. I have one question about memory allocation. When we open
> one new file, there will be one new window in geany. How could I track all
> memory allocation(g_malloc) related with this window? Or would it be
> possible to track all related functions with this window?

The only way to track all allocations is to track Glib/GTK operations
(some of these functions use Gslice, which does its own allocations
from large blocks and may not show on malloc, or will show allocating
the large block not all of which is for the one window).

Also track g_malloc that Geany uses, though you can force that to
always malloc I think.

Also track malloc in case some libraries use it.

And to track C++ new as used by the editing component (which again
need not use malloc).

One question is why do you want to do this,what are you trying to
achieve? There might be a better way.

Geany is mostly event driven (though a few things are timer driven) so
if you only perform actions on one window most code run will relate to
that window.