[Geany-Devel] WAFarewell

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Nov 19 22:25:29 UTC 2015

On 19/11/15 08:31, Thomas Martitz wrote:
> Am 19.11.2015 um 00:38 schrieb Frank Lanitz:

>>> Yup, got it. In both ways and the new website makes progress, slowly but
>>> it's not that far away.
>>>
>>> BTW, today Frank started to remove Waf from Geany-Plugins
>>> (https://github.com/frlan/geany-plugins/compare/build/remove_waf,
>>> https://github.com/geany/geany-plugins/issues/310).
>> Most of the removing is done. Updating/Reviewing some documentation left
>> -- but currently thinking to move this to another sprint as there is
>> more to do than just purging waf. But still missing at this point is an
>> "idiot"-proof description on how to build with current autotools on
>> Windows.
>>

> There's a start at http://wiki.geany.org/howtos/win32/msys2
>
> After setting up msys2 the process is identical to Linux. To specify
> prefixes outside of the msys2 installation directory use
> --prefix=/c/geany, for example. Git also works flawlessly within msys2.
>
> Please be aware that msys2 builds programs that DON'T need msys2 to run.
> Only the msys2 shell and tools are linked against the msys2 runtime.
> That runtime is not linked into programs compiled within that shell.
> That means we can use it to produce release builds that don't need msys2
> installed on the user's system. This is in different (and better) to
> cygwin (which msys2 is based on).

And in general, it's all pretty much fine already. I just built Geany
and Geany-Plugins with MSYS2, almost without any problems.
I also experience the very slow performance but I don't consider this as
a show-stopper, it's just a bit annoying.

Btw, similar topic is discussed in
https://github.com/geany/geany-plugins/issues/310.