[Geany-Devel] WAFarewell

Thomas Martitz kugel at xxxxx
Thu Nov 19 07:31:08 UTC 2015

Am 19.11.2015 um 00:38 schrieb Frank Lanitz:
> On 19.11.2015 00:26, Enrico Tröger wrote:
>>> Yeah, thats why I prompted early in the cycle.
>>>
>>> BTW the hint was only relating to the website, not the whole lot, but
>>> thanks for volunteering :)
>> Yup, got it. In both ways and the new website makes progress, slowly but
>> it's not that far away.
>>
>> BTW, today Frank started to remove Waf from Geany-Plugins
>> (https://github.com/frlan/geany-plugins/compare/build/remove_waf,
>> https://github.com/geany/geany-plugins/issues/310).
> Most of the removing is done. Updating/Reviewing some documentation left
> -- but currently thinking to move this to another sprint as there is
> more to do than just purging waf. But still missing at this point is an
> "idiot"-proof description on how to build with current autotools on
> Windows.

There's a start at http://wiki.geany.org/howtos/win32/msys2

After setting up msys2 the process is identical to Linux. To specify
prefixes outside of the msys2 installation directory use
--prefix=/c/geany, for example. Git also works flawlessly within msys2.

Please be aware that msys2 builds programs that DON'T need msys2 to run.
Only the msys2 shell and tools are linked against the msys2 runtime.
That runtime is not linked into programs compiled within that shell.
That means we can use it to produce release builds that don't need msys2
installed on the user's system. This is in different (and better) to
cygwin (which msys2 is based on).

The only downside is that the build is really slow. Seems to be even
slower with Windows 10. Each source file takes a lot of time, where the
libtool overhead seems to be at ~900%. On my laptop compiling a .c file
with the libtool wrapper takes 10s, of which 1s is the actual gcc
invocation. I don't know yet how to solve this, if it's possible at all.
(time says 7s of that 10s are sys time.)

Best regards