[Geany-Devel] More Contributions (DevynCJohnson)

Devyn Collier Johnson devyncjohnson at xxxxx
Wed Nov 11 16:07:06 UTC 2015

Geany Dev Team:

I would like to provide more contributions to Geany. Is there an
up-to-date "to do list"? For instance, I saw
https://github.com/geany/geany/issues/742 ( Add AutoHotkey (*.ahk) Lexer
to Geany #742); are there any objections to me adding additional
normal/standard Scintilla lexers to Geany? Would you like me to manually
update the "Credits" in the "About" window?

I remember someone on GitHub in the Geany project (I do not remember who
or where) mentioned something about adding WTFPL to the license
templates. Is that still desirable? Are there other licenses any of you
would like me to add in the future?

I see that http://www.geany.org/Download/Releases has binary downloads
for Windows and Mac OS X. Would the team like me to create pre-compiled
x86-64 binaries (or *.deb files) for Ubuntu and Debian (for Geany
v1.26)? I know how to make Debian files (*.deb) that work and flawlessly
pass lintian's tests. I could also use "Alien" (
https://wiki.debian.org/Alien && http://joeyh.name/code/alien/ ) to make
an RPM for Red-Hat-based distros.

To reduce Geany's size and memory usage, does the team think it would be
a good idea for me to compress the PNG files under
https://github.com/geany/geany/tree/master/icons . By "compress", I do
not mean "Gzip" compression. Rather, I can use GIMP to re-create PNG
files that are smaller while still retaining the same image appearance
and image quality. For instance,
https://github.com/geany/geany/blob/master/icons/48x48/geany-save-all.png is
2565bytes while I "compressed" the image to 1222bytes (
http://dcjtech.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/geany-save-all-compressed.png
). This is a 52.4% size reduction (1343bytes smaller). Here are my
calculations: 2565 - 1222 = 1343; (1343 / 2565) * 100 = 52.4%

By the way, I spent some time studying Geany's src. I hope to reduce the
amount of errors I make that relate to not updating related files (like
when I committed those new licenses without changing the related files).
If I make another error like that in the future, please feel free to let
me know which additional files must be modified/updated. I am skilled at
programming (especially C and Python3). My main issue with the Geany
project is knowing how Geany's src is setup and what files need to be
updated. However, now that I looked over most of the code, I hope to
reduce such errors.

Here is a link to additional information about me and my skills -
http://dcjtech.info/about-the-crew/#devyncjohnson . NOTE: My website has
ads, but they will not harm your computer or browser.

--
Thanks,
Devyn Collier Johnson