[Geany-Devel] Miscellaneous Ideas

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Nov 11 04:03:40 UTC 2015

> Geany Dev Team:
>
> When running "strip --strip-debug --strip-unneeded ./FILE", only symbols
> related to debugging and unused symbols are removed. I use this strip
> command on all shared/dynamic libraries and executable programs that I make
> as well as some of my system binaries (like /usr/bin/python3.4 and my custom
> compiled Linux kernel and modules). I have not yet had any problems. True,
> removing all symbols (strip --strip-all) would cause issues with some
> applications and most (if not all) shared libraries.

Not sure if the standard build uses -g so maybe there is not much
debug stuff to strip.

> As for the license templates, I think you and I are thinking of two
> different things.

Possibly, see the pull request comment.

> I am not referring to /usr/share/geany/templates/files . I
> am talking about /usr/share/geany/templates . True, your apache.cpp would go
> in /usr/share/geany/templates/files to appear in the "File > New (with
> template)" sub-menu. However, I want to add licenses to the "Edit > Insert
> Comments" sub-menu. Then, in a file with code, I could select a license to
> insert. Geany automatically adds the multi-line comment for the detected
> language. If a language is not detected by Geany, I could make a multi-line
> comment and select a license to insert. (Example below)
>
> /*
> Place cursor here, choose a license under "Edit > Insert Comments", and the
> license info is instantly inserted.
> Such license templates under "Edit > Insert Comments"
> */
>
> I tested the "gpl" and "bsd" license templates that are already in the
> mainstream Geany release in the "Edit > Insert Comments" sub-menu. These
> license templates are "universal". In other words, they work in any computer
> language's source code. However, this feature would be more beneficial if
> there were more licenses to choose from. I like to use LGPLv3 in many of my
> libraries, but Geany does not have that in the license list.
>
> I get dozens of deprecated warnings when using GTK2 (that is not a typo, I
> do indeed mean "GTK2").

Strange, none of the devs get any (AFAIK) with GTK2.  Thats why I
checked.  Can you paste the messages in a gist somewhere.  And exactly
the CFLAGS/CPPFLAGS and options you used.

> As for the pointer warnings, I saw several (but they relate to GTK2 rather
> than Geany itself). Below is one such warning. By the way, the displayed
> errors in this email were generated with "./configure -v
> --enable-html-docs=no --prefix=$HOME/Geany --exec-prefix=$HOME/Geany
> --disable-nls".
>
> dialogs.c:1001:15: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a
> cast [-Wint-conversion]
>    data->combo = gtk_combo_box_text_new_with_entry();
>
> There were also a few "implicit declaration of function" warnings. One is
> seen below.

These sound like something in gtkcompat isn't working right, maybe
some flag is not set right.  I'm not an expert in that area, Colomban
is, but wait until after this weekends release :)

> dialogs.c: In function 'dialogs_show_input_full':
> gtkcompat.h:57:44: warning: implicit declaration of function
> 'gtk_combo_box_entry_new_text' [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
>  # define gtk_combo_box_text_new_with_entry gtk_combo_box_entry_new_text
>                                             ^
> dialogs.c:1001:17: note: in expansion of macro
> 'gtk_combo_box_text_new_with_entry'
>    data->combo = gtk_combo_box_text_new_with_entry();
>
> If you would like the complete terminal output from the building process, I
> would be happy to put it on the ML as an attached text-file as well as a
> detailed list of information about my libraries, compiler, Linux system,
> etc. Below is some of the most relevant information.

Stick it in a gist, don't spam everybody watching the ML with big attachments :)