[Geany-Devel] DevynCJohnson's Ideas (November)

Devyn Collier Johnson devyncjohnson at xxxxx
Tue Nov 10 15:26:51 UTC 2015

On 11/09/2015 07:31 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
>> Geany Dev Team:
>>
>> Thank you Lex Trotman and Matthew Brush for your time, effort, and
>> insightful feedback.
>>
>> Thanks Matthew for the QML link; I greatly appreciate it. I added the code
>> to my system. Could we add this to the mainstream Geany? True, QtCreator may
>> have better support, but some people prefer Geany over all IDEs (including
>> me).
> Is there a lexer that works *right* and/or a parser that works *right*
> for QML?  If there are no parsers or lexers adding a filetype is
> pretty much a waste of time.
>
>> Okay. I just thought I could at least suggest FASTA. To me, it seems like a
>> good idea, although very odd and unusual for a programming IDE. Sometimes, I
>> like to make wild ideas because such ideas may become a "brilliant idea".
>> However, I understand the team's viewpoint.
>>
>> True, one of  Geany's best features is that it is fast and light-weight.
>> However, are there any benchmarks that indicate a significant performance
>> drop when adding many file-extensions and file-types?
> Adding extensions doesn't have a material cost, except that *the
> filetype has to work* or it brings bug reports.  Adding filetypes has
> some cost, particularly in the support of the filetype when Geany devs
> don't know the language.
>
>> Perhaps, a "plugin" could be made that has support for extra and "weird"
>> file-extensions and file-types. Could Geany be modified to also look for a
>> "filetypes_extension_extra.conf" file that would contain such
>> file-extensions?
> No point, all the extensions have to be loaded so Geany can check for
> the extension of the file being opened to select the filetype
> (assuming no magic incantations are present).
>
>> For instance, an additional package could be made that
>> contains "filetypes_extension_extra.conf" and various filetypes.*.conf
>> files. If the user downloads and installs this package, Geany will see
>> "filetypes_extension_extra.conf" and merge the contents to
>> "filetypes_extension.conf" and load the related filetypes.*.conf files.
> Packaging is not something Geany does, thats the distro's job.
>
> What you could do is add custom filetypes that use existing lexers and
> parsers to the wiki
> http://wiki.geany.org/filetype?do=showtag&tag=filetype.  That makes
> them available to others.
>
> NOTE if a page already exists, add yours as another, do NOT overwrite
> someone elses page, it will get yours reverted when it is noticed.
>
> Such
>> a feature may help us with development. For instance, we could use such a
>> feature for testing proposed file and language support and provide
>> "backported" and unstable file-extension support. As a specific example, the
>> Manpage file-extensions I proposed could be added to such a package until
>> Scintilla adds highlighting support for Manpages. Do you understand what I
>> am saying? Would this be a possible idea to consider?
> [...]

Geany Dev Team:

Thanks again, Lex Trotman, for your feedback.

When I was referring to "packages" when discussing
"filetypes_extension_extra.conf", I did not mean files like *.deb. I
mean "package" as in a general file containing multiple files. In other
words, I meant that Geany.org could have a Tarball available for
download that contains additional file-extensions. True, I should have
explained my idea more clearly.

I have not tested *.sed and *.awk, yet. Everything listed under "May
Consider" are ideas I thought about, but have not yet coded or tested. I
wanted to get the team's thoughts before I put time into testing and
coding an idea that the team may consider a definite "no". Anything
listed under "Will Add Soon", "Will Add", and similar headers are
file-types I have either tested or I am currently using. So, to rephrase
the question about *.sed and *.awk, if I were to find a parser and lexer
that works, would *.sed and *.awk be considerable?

As far as *.ii is concerned, I will wait until standards change or if
Geany gains support for headers that may be C or C++ implicitly. (NOTE:
For instance, *.h++ and *.hpp are explicitly C++ headers)

I will be sure to try to be more clear with my proposals.

--
Thanks,
Devyn Collier Johnson