[Geany-Devel] Miscellaneous Ideas

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Tue Nov 10 02:38:44 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-09 9:08 AM, Devyn Collier Johnson wrote:
> [...]
>
> Unless I over-looked it in http://www.geany.org/Contribute/Developers ,
> I assume discussion on plugin and color-scheme development are allowed
> in this mailing list, or is there a separate mailing list?

Correct, there is no separate mailing list for Geany-Plugins or
Geany-Themes development, they share with main devel list.

> *Ideas*
>
> I noticed that on Geany's GitHub page under ./data/templates, there are
> two license templates ("gpl" and "bsd"). These templates appear in the
> "Edit > Insert Comments" menu. I would like to add some more license
> templates and include them in the menu. Does anyone disagree with this
> idea? I would like to add agpl, lgpl2, lgpl3, gpl3, cc0, and others. To
> make it easier to add menu items, could Geany be re-programmed to
> dynamically create that menu based on the templates included in
> ./data/templates and ~/.config/geany/templates , thus allowing users to
> add licenses to their own systems?

It definitively should be improved to make it user-extensible, something
like adding a license template shouldn't require source code and GUI
modifications.

A long time ago I made a patch to add a few more licenses, but the patch
doesn't improve the extensibility, it only adds to the existing
hard-coded templates, and is also severely out of date, and wouldn't
apply on Geany's current master branch. It is here, for reference:

https://gist.github.com/codebrainz/2353163

(Lines 1 to 11,212 are just noise caused by the GUI designer making
unnecessary changes to the XML file.)