[Geany-Devel] Miscellaneous Ideas

Devyn Collier Johnson devyncjohnson at xxxxx
Mon Nov 9 17:08:49 UTC 2015

Geany Dev Team:

I have various ideas for Geany (that do not pertain to the
file-extensions and language support) that I would like to share before
I write or submit any code.

Also, I found an issue on Geany.org. On
http://wiki.geany.org/config/scripts/shell , there is a deadlink (
https://svn.enlightenment.org/svn/e/trunk/devs/discomfitor/geany_tagger.sh
).

By the way, thank you again, Matthew Brush, for the link to QML on
Geany. I then found http://wiki.geany.org/config/start . Why are many of
these "goodies" not in the mainstream Geany release?

Unless I over-looked it in http://www.geany.org/Contribute/Developers ,
I assume discussion on plugin and color-scheme development are allowed
in this mailing list, or is there a separate mailing list?

*Ideas*

I noticed that on Geany's GitHub page under ./data/templates, there are
two license templates ("gpl" and "bsd"). These templates appear in the
"Edit > Insert Comments" menu. I would like to add some more license
templates and include them in the menu. Does anyone disagree with this
idea? I would like to add agpl, lgpl2, lgpl3, gpl3, cc0, and others. To
make it easier to add menu items, could Geany be re-programmed to
dynamically create that menu based on the templates included in
./data/templates and ~/.config/geany/templates , thus allowing users to
add licenses to their own systems?

In my opinion, ./data/templates/gpl be renamed to ./data/templates/gpl2
to indicate that this is version 2 of the GNU General Public License.
Also, should the menu entry explicitly indicate version 2?

To improve the highlighting used by C source-code, could "bool" be added
to "primary=" in ./data/filetypes.c? "bool" existed since C99 (
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/ &&
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_data_types#stdbool.h ). Also, what about
"true" and "false" (lowercase) as seen in the <stdbool.h>? Currently, in
Geany, "bool" looks like a variable (no highlighting) while other
data-types use highlighting. True, "bool" is not in the "core"
C-language without libraries, but it seems to me that "bool" should be
added.

Could more "Independent commands" and "Filetype commands" be added to
the "Set Build Commands" window opened under "Build > Set Build
Commands"? On my system, for C and Python, I have all of the entries
filled, but I need to add more.

I would also like to add additional "Build > Set Build Commands"
commands to various languages. Are there any objections to me doing so?
Obviously, I will share such ideas and apply the given feedback before
submitting a PR.

Soon, I will experiment with compiling Geany using various GCC compiler
flags and parameters. When I perform such an experiment, would you like
me to share my results about successful, unsuccessful, and optimized
compiling options (with included benchmarks)? For instance, I have
configured and compiled the Linux kernel src for my system, and I have
seen significant improvements in memory usage, speed, boot-up time,
etc.. Afterwards, I had become interested in compiling source code
myself rather than using the pre-compiled *.deb files. I would like to
see if I can make Geany faster and more light-weight (on RAM). Since I
will be doing such an experiment, the Geany Dev Team may find the
results of my experiment to be beneficial to the project.

--
Thanks,
Devyn Collier Johnson