[Geany-Devel] DevynCJohnson's Ideas (November)

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sun Nov 8 17:17:00 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-08 2:34 PM, Devyn Collier Johnson wrote:
> Geany Dev Team:
>
> I have some additional ideas that I would like to share with you all and
> get feedback before I implement the code.
>
> *./data/filetype_extensions.conf*
>
> - Adding "*.s03;*.s79;*.s82;*.s90;*.s;*.S;" to "ASM="
> *.s## - GNU-style Assembly (GAS/AT&T)
> Capital "S" - Must be preprocessed
> Lowercase "s" - Does not require preprocessing
> The numbers appended to *.s indicate the assembly version or intended
> microprocessor [...]

Does the ASM lexer support the AT&T syntax? I thought it was for Intel
syntax (NASM/MASM/etc), but if not, adding .S seems to make sense, it's
what GCC outputs when you tell it to generate only assembly (-S option
IIRC).

> - Adding "*.ll;" to "ASM="
> I suggested this before, but I want to ensure that the team is okay with
> this idea before I commit and PR
> LLVM assembly ( http://linux.die.net/man/1/llvm-as )

Does the ASM lexer support LLVM IR? It's quite a bit different from
either Intel or AT&T syntax.

> [...]
>
> - Adding "*.r;*.f15;*.F15;" to "Fortran="
> *.r - Fortran source code which must be preprocessed with a RATFOR
> preprocessor

The *.r one is probably more commonly used for R language code, which is
already in the filetype_extensions.conf. Adding it for Fortran means it
will get used first, and R programmers will have to start editing the
file manually to restore previous.

> http://labor-liber.org/en/gnu-linux/development/extensions
> *.f15 - Fortran 2015
> http://fortranwiki.org/fortran/show/File+extensions
>
> - Adding "*.xaml;" to "XML="
> XAML (Extensible Application Markup Language)
> This is a markup-language made by Microsoft
> XAML is used in .NET Framework 3 and 4
> [...]

It's also used for non .NET-specific stuff like the Ribbon framework.
Seems OK to add this one to me.

> *Previous Ideas*
>
> These proposed Python file-extensions are not officially mentioned in
> the Python Documentation. I shared this idea previously in the mailing
> list, but I would like to know if this idea is a possibility or a
> definite "no". However, some programmers use the extensions.
> - py2 and py3
> Used to specifically distinguish Python3 code from Python2, especially
> when code is written that only works on one of the two versions.
> - pygtk
> Used to specifically show that a script contains PyGObject or PyGTK
> code, as opposed to Qt
> - pyqt
> Like pygtk, but used to specifically show that a script contains PySide
> or PyQt code
>
> After reading my explanation, what do you think about the suggested
> Python extensions?

I've been programming in Python for almost a decade and have never come
across any of those extensions. Not that it means nobody uses them, just
that they mustn't be very popular. Even IDLE doesn't recognize those
extensions (at least on Windows 10).

> *Possible Ideas*
>
> [...]
>
> - I would like to add support for Qt's QML (Qt Meta Language or Qt
> Modeling Language). It is a scripting language that resembles JavaScript
> ( http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qmlapplications.html ). If the Geany lexers and
> parsers highlight this language well, would it be a good idea to add it?

See http://wiki.geany.org/config/qml?s[]=qml

I've done similar before and the result was tolerable, though QtCreator
has far better support for QML, so I use that when coding QtQuick stuff.

> [...]
>
> - Add support for FASTA ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FASTA_format &&
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FASTA [...]

Seems a little esoteric.