[Geany-Devel] DevynCJohnson's Ideas (November)

Devyn Collier Johnson devyncjohnson at xxxxx
Sun Nov 8 19:34:41 UTC 2015

Geany Dev Team:

I have some additional ideas that I would like to share with you all and
get feedback before I implement the code.

*./data/filetype_extensions.conf*

- Adding "*.s03;*.s79;*.s82;*.s90;*.s;*.S;" to "ASM="
*.s## - GNU-style Assembly (GAS/AT&T)
Capital "S" - Must be preprocessed
Lowercase "s" - Does not require preprocessing
The numbers appended to *.s indicate the assembly version or intended
microprocessor
*.s is also used by Common Intermediate Language (CIL) which looks like
assembly
The Linux kernel contains some "*.S" files such as
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/x86/boot/header.S?id=refs/tags/v4.3
Sources:
http://labor-liber.org/en/gnu-linux/development/extensions
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/List_of_file_extensions#S
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Intermediate_Language

- Adding "*.ll;" to "ASM="
I suggested this before, but I want to ensure that the team is okay with
this idea before I commit and PR
LLVM assembly ( http://linux.die.net/man/1/llvm-as )

- Adding "*.i;" to "C="
*.i - C source code which should not be preprocessed
http://labor-liber.org/en/gnu-linux/development/extensions

- Adding "*.ii;" to "C++="
*.ii - C++ source code which should not be preprocessed
http://labor-liber.org/en/gnu-linux/development/extensions

- Adding "*.r;*.f15;*.F15;" to "Fortran="
*.r - Fortran source code which must be preprocessed with a RATFOR
preprocessor
http://labor-liber.org/en/gnu-linux/development/extensions
*.f15 - Fortran 2015
http://fortranwiki.org/fortran/show/File+extensions

- Adding "*.xaml;" to "XML="
XAML (Extensible Application Markup Language)
This is a markup-language made by Microsoft
XAML is used in .NET Framework 3 and 4
Mimetype = application/xaml+xml
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Application_Markup_Language
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc295302.aspx
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/System.Windows.Markup.aspx

*Previous Ideas*

These proposed Python file-extensions are not officially mentioned in
the Python Documentation. I shared this idea previously in the mailing
list, but I would like to know if this idea is a possibility or a
definite "no". However, some programmers use the extensions.
- py2 and py3
Used to specifically distinguish Python3 code from Python2, especially
when code is written that only works on one of the two versions.
- pygtk
Used to specifically show that a script contains PyGObject or PyGTK
code, as opposed to Qt
- pyqt
Like pygtk, but used to specifically show that a script contains PySide
or PyQt code

After reading my explanation, what do you think about the suggested
Python extensions?

*Possible Ideas*

These are ideas that I am thinking about (or would like to hear your
thoughts) before I proceed.

- Previously, I think mentioned adding XNA support. That idea will be
delayed or never implemented because Microsoft discontinued XNA. In
addition, I cannot find Microsoft's XNA specification. However, I would
be willing to add XNA support if the Geany Dev Team thinks it would
still be a good idea.

- I would like to add support for Qt's QML (Qt Meta Language or Qt
Modeling Language). It is a scripting language that resembles JavaScript
( http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qmlapplications.html ). If the Geany lexers and
parsers highlight this language well, would it be a good idea to add it?

- Would it be a good idea to add Java bytecode files (*.class) to
"ASM="? I do not know Java, so this may be a poor idea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_bytecode#Example

- In my opinion, it would be a good idea to add support for sed scripts
( http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/Sed.html#uh-20 &&
https://www.gnu.org/software/sed/manual/sed.html#Centering-lines ). They
use the "*.sed" file-extension. However, I will need to experiment with
the lexers and parsers.

- In addition, I could add awk scripts (
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/Scripts/awk_print_squares.awk ). They use
the "*.awk" file-extension. However, I will need to experiment with the
lexers and parsers.

- Add support for FASTA ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FASTA_format &&
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FASTA &&
http://fasta.bioch.virginia.edu/fasta_www2/fasta_list2.shtml ). I am not
sure how you will all feel about this idea. FASTA is a file format used
to represent nucleotide and peptide sequences. True, it is not a
programming language, and I do not know yet if any lexer or parser used
by Geany will work with FASTA. However, with the rise of "open-source
biology", Boolean Integrase Logic (BIL) gates, and biochemical-based
transistors (/DNA and RNA transistors = transcriptors/), this may be an
idea to consider. Also, such a feature would make Geany stand-out among
other "traditional" IDEs.

--
Thanks,
Devyn Collier Johnson