[Geany-Devel] Problems calling ui_update_statusbar from a plugin

Thomas Martitz kugel at xxxxx
Mon Nov 2 05:40:04 UTC 2015

Am 01.11.2015 um 18:50 schrieb Colomban Wendling:
> Also, IMO a replacement/large improvement should include the following
> in the end:
>
> 1. Seamless integration (all features in all splits)
> 2. (keep) support for multiple views of the same document
> 3. multiple (arbitrary) splits
>
> Point 1 is obvly the main goal of everyone who ever tried to improve the
> situation.
>
> Point 2 would IMO be important, especially to avoid changes in some
> views when another changes (i.e. if I want to display document A in view
> V, and I already have it in view W, I don't want view W to stop
> displaying it).
> On this point I'm on disagreement with others, who are happy with the
> idea that documents are dispatched on the various areas, rather than
> areas are views for documents; so your opinion might vary.  I also won't
> strongly oppose either way, as again I probably wouldn't make much use
> of the feature myself.

Yea, I have no use for 2). And it would require many more changes inside
Geany than the plain "two (or more) editor notebooks". Just think about
what happens to document->editor->sci pointer when there are two scis
(this pointer is also heavily used by plugins).

But my approach was to implement the plain splitwindow via multiple
editor notebooks inside Geany, and then modify the splitwindow plugin to
just offer the cloned view of one document, so there's no regression for
that use case. I hope that pleases you.

Best regards.