[Geany-Devel] Problems calling ui_update_statusbar from a plugin

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Nov 2 00:00:39 UTC 2015

On 2 November 2015 at 03:50, Colomban Wendling
<lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
> On 31/10/2015 14:40, Abel wrote:
>> I have a fix for #631 but I was trying to fix this statusbar
>> inconsistency thing as well, but I think I will open a new issue for
>> that and work on them separately.
>>
>> On 31 October 2015 at 13:16, Thomas Martitz <kugel at rockbox.org
>> <mailto:kugel at rockbox.org>> wrote:
>>

>>     Are you working on the existing splitwindow plugin or are you
>>     creating a new one?
>>

>> I'm working on the existing one. I prefer to solve some quick &
>> essential issues first rather than create a new one
>
> Take a look at https://github.com/geany/geany/pull/724
>
>>     I'm slowly working on a in-core solution, you can find it at
>>     https://github.com/kugel-/geany/tree/splitwindow2?files=1
>>

>> Last commit is on November of former year? that's really slowly :/
>> Anyway, has it been taken any *official* decision of moving on to a
>> built-in feature instead of a plugin? On other words, Geany dev team, do
>> you have plans of putting splitwindow into core and dropping it as plugin??
>
> Short answer: yes.
>
> Longer answer: I myself have low interest for the feature (read: I don't
> use it, and probably wouldn't much), but the quality of the current
> splitwindow plugin definitely leaves a lot to be desired.  However, we
> all know and agreed that it's probably currently impossible to implement
> a perfect "split window" feature as a plugin, so yes, it probably would
> have to land in core anyway.  I would probably accept a version of this,
> and could be reviewing it.  It however absolutely has to be
> *non-intrusive* to the non-split case.
>
> Also, IMO a replacement/large improvement should include the following
> in the end:
>
> 1. Seamless integration (all features in all splits)
> 2. (keep) support for multiple views of the same document
> 3. multiple (arbitrary) splits
>
> Point 1 is obvly the main goal of everyone who ever tried to improve the
> situation.
>
> Point 2 would IMO be important, especially to avoid changes in some
> views when another changes (i.e. if I want to display document A in view
> V, and I already have it in view W, I don't want view W to stop
> displaying it).
> On this point I'm on disagreement with others, who are happy with the
> idea that documents are dispatched on the various areas, rather than
> areas are views for documents; so your opinion might vary.  I also won't
> strongly oppose either way, as again I probably wouldn't make much use
> of the feature myself.
>
> Point 3 would be great, but I guess less of a primary goal.

And IMHO the way to approach it would be:

1)  to let everyone know what you are doing and how you intend to do
it so the general approach can be commented on,

2) submit a series of small PRs that change the parts of Geany that
assume one window/document/split or otherwise cause problems with a
proper split/multiple views UI, so they can be added progressively and
tested

3) submit the multiple split PR

Agree with Colomban that his 1. and 2. are essential, and I see his 3.
as probably more useful than he does.