[Geany-Devel] DevynCJohnson's Ideas

Devyn Collier Johnson devyncjohnson at xxxxx
Sun Nov 1 15:51:32 UTC 2015

Geany Dev Team:

Before submitting more commits and proposed code on GitHub, I think I
should share some of my ideas. Thus, I can submit better code and avoid
wasting Geany's GitHub-Team's time. (Sorry for the inconveniences).
Also, I will be sure to use the "ci skip" flag for non-coded commits and
pull-requests. In addition, I will provide more detailed commit and
pull-request messages in future code contributions.

I would like to add support for various file extensions. In
./data/filetype_extensions.conf
<https://github.com/geany/geany/blob/master/data/filetype_extensions.conf>,
I would like to perform the below listed changes/additions.

- Add "*.dash" to "Sh="; Dash is a shell script similar to Ash
- Add "*.svg" to "XML="; SVG is a popular vector graphics file using XML
tags
- Add "*.sqlite;*.sql3;" to "SQL="; I have seen such file-extensions
- Add "*.py3;*.py2;*.pygtk;*.pyqt;" to "Python="; Python is my preferred
and most used programming language, so I frequently see such file-extensions
- Add "*.mhtml" to "HTML="; such a file-extension is sometimes seen
- Add "*.debdiff;*.dpatch;*.kpatch;" to "Diff="; I use Ubuntu (a
Debian-based Linux distro), so I see such Diff extensions
- Add "*.configure;*.prop;control;" to "Conf="; Some config files use
such extensions, or the file itself is named "control"
- Add a "README=" category and related file-name patterns; some readme
files are highlighted by Geany when they should not contain highlighting
- Add "*.asm51;*.a51;*.asm;*.ll;*.s03;*.s79;*.s82;*.s90;*.s;*.S;" to
"ASM=";  True, the various "*.s*" extensions could easily be debated,
but "*.a51" and "*.asm51" are a must (in my opinion); Assembly code for
the 8051 processor is supported by Geany, but Geany does not recognize
the file-extensions
- Ensure consistent code by making every line end with a semicolon; I do
not know how you all feel about code-consistency, but it is important to me
- Add "*.mml;*.mathml;*.cml;" to "XML="; mml and mathml are MathML
file-extensions; cml = Chemical Markup Language

What do you all think? Geany is my #1 preferred and favorite IDE. I want
it to be the best IDE ever. Why not make Geany support more languages
and file-extensions? Why not surpass other IDEs in quality, features,
and language support?

How does the Geany team feel about adding file-extensions for languages
that Scintilla does not yet support? For instance, I would like to add
Manpages. True, it may seem odd to add such unsupported extensions and
languages. However, I see it as being ready for when Scintilla gains
support or providing a reason for Scintilla to add support.

I intend on being a long-term and regular team member (if that is okay
with the team), so any tips are greatly appreciated. Please do not
hesitate to inform me if I am not following the project's standards or
guidelines. Also, please feel free to share your concerns, suggestions,
comments, etc. I will not be offended (I promise).

Once I learn more about the team's "culture", goals, project
rules/standards, etc., then I will submit actual C/C++ code and
improvements to the code.

By the way, this mailing list uses "top-posting". Am I correct?

--
Thanks,
Devyn Collier Johnson