[Geany-Devel] pull request on GitHub, to add GeanyHighlightSelectedWords, into Geany Plugins

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sat May 30 01:24:40 UTC 2015

On 2015-05-29 06:09 PM, Colomban Wendling wrote:
> Le 29/05/2015 02:38, Lex Trotman a écrit :
>> […]
>>>
>>> That being said, showing occurrences of the word is such a common and fairly
>>> useful feature for an IDE, I'd personally rather see the 3-4 existing
>>> plugins obsoleted by a good implementation in core Geany[1].
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Gotta agree, this is so common (even browsers do it) that it should be
>> an easily found built-in feature, but maybe that just means moving the
>> Menu->Search->more->mark all menu item?
>
> Apparently it's not the search results highlighting they are talking
> about, but dynamic highlight of the current word (which to me is the
> same as search result highlighting searching for the word under cursor,
> but who knows if there's a subtler thing behind it) -- and I don't know
> any browser doing that (nor, for that matter, any application).

I think it's confusing because Geany's Search dialog has a "Mark All"
button which does a similar but slightly different thing (marking based
on search pattern rather than caret position or current selection),
which is basically the thing I think Lex is talking about. I haven't
investigated, but I would think all these are sharing the same
underlying implementation at present, and possibly (but hopefully not)
sharing the same code for how they are cleared :)