[Geany-Devel] pull request on GitHub, to add GeanyHighlightSelectedWords, into Geany Plugins

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri May 29 00:38:44 UTC 2015

On 29 May 2015 at 09:25, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> On 2015-05-28 02:03 PM, marius buzea wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have read the source code of automark [
>> https://github.com/geany/geany-plugins/blob/master/automark/src/automark.c
>> ].
>> Functionally, automark and GeanyHighlightSelectedWord are alike, I think.
>> There are differences between automark
>> and HighlighSelectedWord.
>>

>> Automark is concise: it uses the SCI_FINDTEXT messages to scintilla for
>> finding occurrences of selected text.
>> Automark uses a timeout callback for matching text.
>>
>> GeanyHighlightSelectedText is more 'low-level':  it does not use
>> scintilla's SCI_FINDTEXT functionality, instead it
>> uses the KMP algorithm to find all occurrences of selected text in visible
>> text.      GeanyHighlightSelectedText does
>> not use timeout callback for matching text.
>>
>> While the functionality may be the same, there were different decisions in
>> the design of these two plugins.     Let's
>> have both automark and GeanyHighlightSelectedText included in Geany
>> Plugins.
>>

> Hi,
>
> Ideally you could improve the underlying implementation of an existing one
> if your way is better[0] and they perform the same function. It's really
> confusing for users to figure out what is the "right" plugin when there's
> too many doing the same thing. The same thing happens with GeanyGDB,
> Debugger, and Scope right now.
>
> That being said, showing occurrences of the word is such a common and fairly
> useful feature for an IDE, I'd personally rather see the 3-4 existing
> plugins obsoleted by a good implementation in core Geany[1].

+1

Gotta agree, this is so common (even browsers do it) that it should be
an easily found built-in feature, but maybe that just means moving the
Menu->Search->more->mark all menu item?

Improving the implementation is also good of course.