[Geany-Devel] pull request on GitHub, to add GeanyHighlightSelectedWords, into Geany Plugins

marius buzea magnetudinbuda at xxxxx
Wed May 27 15:21:06 UTC 2015

Hello,

It highlights all occurrences of the selected word in the visible text.Processing complexity is O(n+m) time and space  (the KMP algorithm isused to achieve this.)     I estimated it should introduce littlelatency when processing is triggered ( < 200 milliseconds).      Worksvery well (I use it daily, and have seen no slow down).

I think that it differs from mark all instances in the following way.I guess that mark all instances searches the whole file which may behuge.   The plugin only searches the text that you see in the scintillawidget.     When you scroll, for example, the plugin is triggered andagain searches in the visible text for all occurrences of selected word,if any.     So you don't have to wait when you edit or read text withGeany.

You may use the plugin when you read some code:  click on some variable,and then you see all places where it is used, or click on return and yousee all places where return statement is used in some function.

You may also use the plugin to select any kind of text from any hugetext file.    For example, you may be reading this file
http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/8117/pg8117.txt   (well, a localcopy of if) and then you may see all visible occurrences of some word.

[KMP] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knuth%E2%80%93Morris%E2%80%93Pratt_algorithm

Have a great day,Marius Ioan Buzea

     On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 4:10 PM, Thomas Martitz <kugel at rockbox.org> wrote:

 Am 27.05.2015 um 14:25 schrieb marius buzea:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to add GeanyHighlightSelectedWords, to Geany Plugins.
> Would it be okay that I do a git pull-request for doing this?  I
> am the mgnt user on sourceforge, and last week there was a ticket
> added to GeanyHighlightSelectedWords, ticket #2, and in this
> ticket was a question:  why not make a pull-request to Geany Plugins.
>
> I know there would be some things I would need to do before, like
> replace the Makefile with Makefile.am, the autotools, automake way,
> and write a README file using restructured text content so that that
> README file can be converted to html.      Maybe there is more that
> should be done.
>
> I hope my question is okay.
>
> Have a great day,
> Marius Ioan Buzea

What does this plugin do exactly? Addons can already mark all instances
of the selected word (same as ctrl+shift+m if a word already selected).