[Geany-Devel] debug output on win32

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Mar 23 11:44:51 UTC 2015

On 23/03/15 08:27, Matthew Brush wrote:
> On 15-03-22 04:30 PM, the Adib wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have installed a buildenvironment on my Win32 virtualbox.
>> I want to investigate in the source code and have some debug output from
>> the running application.
>>
>> I tried printf as well as geany_debug. I also set G_MESSAGES_DEBUG=all.
>>
>> However starting the application from the commandshell cmd:
>> - returns immediatel to the promt, without waiting the application to
>> close,
>> - does not output any debug hint on the console.
>>
>> Could you guide me how to have some informative output from the running
>> application.
>>

> Since you did not say so, I have to ask, did you run it with verbose
> messages like `geany -v`?

This is exactly the trick on Windows.
-v will open another terminal window where debug output is printed to.

This is because on Windows you have to decide at compile time whether
you want to have a console application or a graphical application.
Console applications can print directly to the terminal but not
graphical applications. Since Geany is clearly a graphical application,
there is no console output by default.
When the -v switch is used, Geany does some Windows API magic to open
that other terminal window and print output to it. This is just for
debugging/developing.

Alternatively, by using geany_debug() and/or g_message()/g_warning() you
can see the messages also in Geany itself in the Help->Debug Messages
dialog. There those messages are always available, even without the -v
switch.