[Geany-Devel] f403e7e (PR#188) - Maintain edit history on document reload

Thomas Martitz kugel at xxxxx
Mon Jun 29 08:24:50 UTC 2015

Am 29.06.2015 um 00:32 schrieb Lex Trotman:
> On 29 June 2015 at 07:41, Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
>> Le 26/06/2015 07:22, Thomas Martitz a écrit :
>>> […]
>>>
>>> However, as we entered string freeze, I don't suppose a new dialog like
>>> this is acceptable at this point?
>> It would be really better not to indeed?
>>
>>> What else can we do for *this* release?
>> Hum.  If this is an important enough issue, I can see these solutions:
>>
>> - Default to not keep history (hence prompt);
>>
>> - Add an extra hidden setting "don't show this message again"-like for a
>> *future* dialog/infobar, so it still always asks unless the user
>> manually changes this hidden setting.
>>
>> Both are suboptimal for this feature, but if it's a problem we can
>> probably delay default enabling to the next cycle.
> Or just put a BIG notice in the release notes "Reload is now undoable
> so it doesn't prompt any more"

That helps only existing users, and only that fraction that actually
reads release notes (I would think the bulk of them doesn't).

Perhaps it would be indeed best to not toggle the default for this
release already?

PS: I do love this feature now that I'm aware of the undo'ability, it's
not like I want to act against it. I just fear it creates user confusion
for both new and existing users alike.

Best regards