[Geany-Devel] Windows installer snapshots with GTK 2.24

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Sun Jun 28 21:09:22 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>
wrote:

> Hi Jiří,
>
> >> I've built new Windows installers from current GIT master.
> >>
> >> [..]
> >>

> >> Any feedback is welcome.
> >>

> > Hi Enrico,
> >
> > seems to be working fine here.
> >
> > One idea: wouldn't it be good to package the grep binary to the installer
> > (and if possible somehow set the preferences to the location where it was
> > installed) so find in files works out of the box? Right now the message
> you
> > get when trying to use find in files is:
>
> great idea!
> Will be included in the next installer, it's just 79kB.
> Luckily, and if I don't miss anything, we don't need to set any paths
> because the default path for grep is just "grep" and when grep.exe is in
> the bin/ directory next to Geany.exe, it should work out of the box.

Just tried the latest installer and works great, thanks! Cool it wasn't
necessary to modify the config file when installing.

> >  search_find_in_files: spawn_with_callbacks() failed: CreateProcess()
> > failed: The system cannot find the file specified.
> >
> > which isn't the most user-friendly message and I guess many people will
> > interpret it as "find in files doesn't work on Windows".
>
> True. I guess we can improve the error message but maybe better after
> 1.25 to not bother the translators too much by breaking the string
> freeze :).

I have just created a bug report here

https://github.com/geany/geany/issues/541

It can wait for the next release especially as grep works now.

Cheers,

Jiri