[Geany-Devel] Spawn module API

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sun Jun 28 03:14:06 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-27 07:54 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> On 28 June 2015 at 12:40, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
>> On 2015-06-27 12:46 PM, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> An updated list of the API-s asked to remain public:
>>>
>>> me    WIF*
>>> lex    spawn_get_program_name
>>> lex    spawn_check_command
>>> me/lex    spawn_kill_process
>>>       spawn_async_with_pipes
>>> lex    spawn_async
>>> me/lex    spawn_with_callbacks
>>> me    spawn_write_data
>>> lex?    spawn_get_exit_status_cb
>>> lex    spawn_sync
>>>

>> We should only export what you have concrete plans to use during the next
>> cycle. If Lex wants update plugins during the next cycle to use other parts
>> of the API, we can expose them at the time that the PR is made. No point to
>> speculatively expose API that nobody has immediate plans to use.
>
> If no API is available then nobody will have any plans so no API is
> needed so nobody will have any plans for the egg so no chicken is
> needed so ....

It can easily be made available on-demand, as normal.

We should only be concerned about what Scope is requesting as it has
concrete plans to use them during the next development cycle and doesn't
want the plugin to depend on the next development version of Geany
during that time[0]. There's no reason to speculatively rush other APIs
in if no plugins have immediate plans to use them nor have the concern
about depending on the development version of Geany.

[0]: Which IMO is a kind of tenuous reason since most people will use
the version of Scope that their distro provides or from other releases,
which for the most part means the next released version of Geany/GP
anyway. I guess maybe some bleeding edge distros might package it
in-between releases or something, though.