[Geany-Devel] Spawn module API

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Fri Jun 26 01:11:02 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-20 08:12 PM, Matthew Brush wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just noticed that the new spawn code exposes almost every single bit
> of API possible. Do we really want to do that, or should we limit it
> only to what is currently needed by any plugins? A quick survey of
> Geany-Plugins shows no usage of any of this yet.
>
> IMO, we shouldn't expose anything which is not needed by plugins,
> especially if it's not related to the plugin API.

One further thought before we get locked into the exposed API.

Shouldn't all the spawn stuff be in the utils_* namespace? From the
plugin developer perspective it's just some more utility functions like
the ones it improves upon already in the utils_ namespace and that seems
to be the place where we dump all the general purpose convenience
functions and stuff that makes up for GLib short-comings, and that's
effectively what this is.

If we wanted to keep the file-wise isolation of the spawn code, we could
just tweak the Doxygen comments a bit to put the functions under that
section of the API docs, rather than giving a handful of helper
functions their own whole "module" (API-wise, ex. "namespace" and docs).

Any opinions?