[Geany-Devel] f403e7e (PR#188) - Maintain edit history on document reload

Thomas Martitz kugel at xxxxx
Thu Jun 25 05:19:44 UTC 2015

Am 25. Juni 2015 02:51:43 MESZ, schrieb Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca>:
>On 2015-06-24 05:47 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>> I wonder if there's a more simple way to reduce confusion and
>increase visibility other than an annoying dialog or document message.
>Maybe as a separate action with a different name in the edit menu?
>>
>> Menu, what menu? I use the toolbar button.  Changing the name won't
>help here.
>>

>Then maybe just having it keep the tab label red and asterisk in the
>window title is enough. I think those would've been enough of a clue
>for
>me to figure out I could undo.

The red indicates that the buffer is changed and unsaved, in other words the buffer is not the same as the file on disk. So clearing it on reload is the right thing.

After saving, you the indication is also cleared *and* you can undo. That's been fine since forever.

I think a document message would be a fine way to transport this feature.

"The file has been reloaded. You can revert the buffer to the previous state simply by undoing. This message will not be displayed again.

This feature can be disabled by clicking "Always clear undo".

[ Okay ]
[ Always clear undo ]
"

Best regards