[Geany-Devel] f403e7e (PR#188) - Maintain edit history on document reload

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Jun 25 00:47:23 UTC 2015

[...]

> I think the only weird behaviour besides the clearing the "dirty" state, is
> that if you are editing a file, then edit it externally, then come back to
> Geany, it rightly warns you using a nice document message, giving the choice
> to reload, overwrite or do nothing. If you press the toolbar reload button,
> it dismisses the document infobar. That's not in itself necessarily a bad
> thing, because you're basically saying "yes, i want to reload, go away".
> However, if you clicked the toolbar save button instead of reload, it asks
> Yet Again, this time with a modal dialog, what the document infobar is
> already asking, to save/overwrite the file. It's kind of subtle but seems a
> bit inconsistent, IMO.

Yes, the rest of Geany probably hasn't caught up with the existence of
the infobars, so there are likely to be more "funny" interactions
elsewhere. Probably worth an issue.

[...]

> And memory manufacturers everywhere :)

Shh :)

> Sarcasm aside, I think it's a fine feature, maybe slightly confusing since the existing behaviour changed, and isn't similar to most editors. Other than that, clearing the visible "dirty" state and using sizeof(doc)*n_reloads of memory in Scintilla undo buffer, it's not a bad idea. It's convenient and seemingly safe.

Sarcasm? Moi? But yeah, when Thomas pointed out its actually different
semantics from most editors I agree it might be worthwhile mentioning
it.

> I wonder if there's a more simple way to reduce confusion and increase visibility other than an annoying dialog or document message. Maybe as a separate action with a different name in the edit menu?

Menu, what menu? I use the toolbar button.  Changing the name won't help here.