[Geany-Devel] Spawn module API

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Wed Jun 24 00:06:07 UTC 2015

Le 24/06/2015 01:57, Lex Trotman a écrit :
> Colomban,
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but despite my loudly voiced misgivings :)
> doesn't the spawn_* series do command quoting and g_spawn* not?
>
> If that the case they should not be mixed on the same platform
> otherwise the user has to know which commands are run with which
> function to know if they need to do the quoting themselves.

Well, those support an additional "command" parameter that indeed is
read in a platform-dependent manner.  (this was a discussion point and
ended like this).

They however also support argvs just fine, so you can use those too and
they would work the same.  With this, you can also imagine using
g_shell_parse_argv() on all platforms if you like, just like you would
do with g_spawn().

So well, yes, the user has to know which syntax is needed, but that's
basically true already.

Cheers,
Colomban