[Geany-Devel] CDK Plugin

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Jul 29 14:19:57 UTC 2015

On 15-07-28 11:10 PM, Thomas Martitz wrote:
> Am 29. Juli 2015 06:45:34 MESZ, schrieb Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca>:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I started working on a plugin that uses features of libclang for C/C++
>> projects (CDK = C/C++ Development Kit). The code is at:
>>
>> https://github.com/codebrainz/cdk-plugin
>>
>> If anyone is interested to help out in this early stage, especially
>> with
>> the user interface and experience. I have some interesting features
>> working already but the way humans interact with the plugin really
>> sucks.
>>
>> If anyone is a C/GObject/Glade wizard and wants to help develop the
>> human interface to this plugin, please respond here or send me an email
>>
>> directly.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Matthew Brush
>
> Great work and very interesting!
>
> Can you give a quick overview of what it adds to geany's c support, whether planned or already integrated? Does it also improve some of geany's existing features?

There's an overview in the README.md file with some current and planned
features.

>  From what I understood, libclang is superior to any other tag parser, so to me the question is also if we could use it in the core? But I guess other language support would suffer.

I think it's too big and language-specific to go into core. IMO a better
approach would be to improve the core to facilitate plugins to
override/extend Geany's features with language-specific smarts. This
would make it easier to write such plugins and would avoid the core
havig all kinds of big dependencies like LibPython, LibVala, LibRuby, or
what-have-you.