[Geany-Devel] pull request on GitHub, to add GeanyHighlightSelectedWords, into Geany Plugins

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Thu Jul 9 01:18:03 UTC 2015

On 2015-07-08 10:57 AM, Steven Blatnick wrote:
> So I've finally got a chance to look at my non-API calls.  I was able to
> code around most of them, but there are two that would be much easier if
> we could make them APIs.  (I haven't pushed any of these changes to my
> git repo yet.)  Could we consider making these API?
>
>   * keybindings_load_keyfile - I dynamically add/remove a variable
>     number of plugin keybindings based on the plugin settings, so this
>     allows me to refresh the results easily.  This allows my
>     external-tools plugin to have any number of tools with each their
>     own keybinding.  Otherwise, most plugins have a set number of bindings.

This sounds dubious.

I assume you're talking about `external-tools` plugin? Maybe I don't
understand the code enough, but it looks to me like it's just leaking
GeanyKeyGroups in `reload_tools()` and then calling
`keybindings_load_keyfile()` happens to reload the key group it newly
created?

I completely agree there needs to be a way to dynamically add/remove
keybindings, but I'm not sure we should promote this way if I understand
it correctly. IMO, it would be much better to fix Geany.

>   * keybindings_lookup_item - I know keybindings_get_item is available
>     already, but I am attempting to look up a core group keybinding and
>     not plugin's own keybindings.

This sounds reasonable, though I think it would be better if made public
to rename it to something like `keybindings_get_builtin_item()` or
something. Also I think we should change the signature to use the
correct types (those enums we already expose).

>   * keybindings_dialog_show_prefs_scroll - I remember someone saying the
>     "Configure Plugins" window would have a button to this already in a
>     later version, but I still don't see it.  I only need this API if
>     the button isn't added.

Could probably make such a button/link use the same code as the
"Keybindings" button in the Plugin Manager dialog, since it does just
that. It might be a bit awkward UI-wise though.

> Let me know if this is possible or how I should proceed.  I use geany
> with my plugins daily, and can't upgrade my code base until my plugins
> are working.

Best is to make a PR with the changes you want. Second best is to raise
an Issue and hope somebody else wants them enough to do it.