[Geany-Devel] Windows installer snapshots with GTK 2.24

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Jul 1 19:33:59 UTC 2015

On 27/06/15 20:53, Thomas Martitz wrote:
> Am 27.06.2015 um 01:09 schrieb Enrico Tröger:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've built new Windows installers from current GIT master.
>>

>> Downloads can be found here:
>> http://download.geany.org/snapshots/
>>

>> Please note that these are test builds from the current development
>> version, don't expect release quality.
>> You have been warned :).
>>
>> After you installed the snapshots, you can also use the nightly
>> builds again on Windows (i.e. copy the archive contents over the
>> installation).
>>

>> Any feedback is welcome.
>>

> Nice! I'll try to spin GTK3-based installers soon. Though it needs tiny
> patches to Geany (PR will follow).

Thomas, could you do me a favor and check against which libraries your
geany.dll is linked?
Basically performing a 'ldd' on Windows.

Attached is a short command session to dump object information from the
DLL and then grep for "DLL Name" which lists linked libraries. This is
somewhat similar to 'ldd' on Linux.
You probably need to adjust the paths to the 'objdump' tool and the
geany.dll (objdump.exe should be part of the Mingw installation and
reside next to gcc.exe).

Background: Frank made me aware that on a clean Windows system, the
provided installer won't start because it requires libwinpthread-1.dll
which is not distributed by the installer but is part of the Mingw
environment. I never noticed this because on my Windows system, the
Mingw installation is in $PATH and so this library is always available.

I'm curious whether this happens also with your Mingw setup. I guess it
will as it seems this is a change in newer gcc versions on Windows. But
I want to get sure instead of just guessing :).

Right now, I'm playing with static linking options, already tried
-static -lpthread but so far without success.

If it is just a requirement, we can probably distribute this library as
well but if we can avoid it, even better.