[Geany-Devel] Problems with building/Scintilla on Windows

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Thu Jan 15 19:19:17 UTC 2015

On 15-01-15 06:17 AM, Nick Treleaven wrote:
> Hi,
> This is a bit rambling but I'm kind of stuck now.
>
> I hadn't kept up to date with git master for a while. I ran into trouble
> with the windows makefiles (makefile.win32) - GTK was not defined even
> though -DGTK is passed. So I hacked PlatGTK.cxx to define it manually,
> but on running the resultant Geany aborts - a backtrace showed some
> Scintilla code (Document::Document) causing the fault. (I also had to
> remove -liberty as that doesn't seem to be part of my MinGW install).

Related to lib iberty:

https://github.com/geany/geany/commit/1dc09597b24d19683abc597d45d7c28d37c199f0

> Anyway, I gave up trying to fix the makefiles and tried Waf. It seemed
> to work, but now when using Geany autocompletion shows an empty list. It
> keeps doing this for a while on typing, then later I start typing again
> and Geany freezes - this is not a hang, task manager doesn't show Geany
> using CPU. I have to kill it. This is weird, and annoying because I
> don't know how to get a backtrace (Ctrl-Z doesn't seem to work on my
> Windows gdb, and anyway the process seems stuck rather than looping). I
> suspect a fault with Scintilla, but it could be unrelated.

Maybe it's a bug in GTK+? Which version are you using? It might be
worthwhile to test with some different version of the bundle just to see.