[Geany-Devel] RFC: Merge C and C++ Filetypes (no troll)

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Tue Dec 29 10:11:29 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have been using Geany without the C filetype and opening all C files
as C++. I use about 50% each of C and C++, and since I merged the two
filetypes quite a few of headaches went away.

Some of the benefits:

   - C or C++ tags always work
   - Special highlighting of C++ keywords so I know to avoid in C
   - All C and C++ constructs always work
   - No ambiguity of *.h files (except w/ Obj-C)

Some of the drawbacks:

   - Using C++ build commands for C doesn't make much sense
       (although some claim compiling plain C as C++ to be a virtue)
   - The default C++ extension wouldn't be suitable for plain C

Some non-issues (AFAICT):
   - Both filetypes already use the same Scintilla C++ lexer
   - For Geany's purposes the CTags C++ parser works for both C and C++

It might be useful to only have one filetype for both. I'm content
editing my config files locally, but I just thought it worth discussing
to see if I'm mistaken on the perceived benefits/drawbacks.