[Geany-Devel] Devel Digest, Vol 93, Issue 5

Per Löwgren per.lowgren at xxxxx
Fri Dec 18 11:10:53 UTC 2015

Hi Jiri,

I get a digest on daily basis, didn't see your message until now, and my
phone managed to send the previous reply quite unfinished. Anyhow, I'll
respond as well I can.

> I have written some notes below how Djynn's project management differs
from
> ProjectOrganizer and some rationale for why I went that way. In my opinion
> the core functionality is quite similar.

Fine :)

> This is the same in ProjectOrganizer. Moreover, ProjectOrganizer stores
its
> config into the standard Geany project file so there's a single project
> file. I believe there are two project files in your case the Djynn one and
> the Geany one and this "two-project" thing makes things a bit confusing
for
> users. Did you know you can store your config options into the Geany
> project file using the API?

Actually, Djynn has a config file for each project, and for each session,
but workspaces are in djynn.conf with the rest of plugin configurations.
Yes, I know I can use Geany config, but decided not to clutter it with too
much data.

> This is how it's in Geany too, there's just a single session per project -
> on project opening your previous session is restored.

The reason I've made a separation between projects and sessions is purely
of practical reasons, I switch between sessions all the time, though they
don't nesessarily need to be projects. So sessions have nothing to do with
projects.

> Since ProjectOrganizer is an extension of Geany project, there's no
> distinction between Geany project and ProjectOrganizer project - they are
> one.

Yes, I see that.

> ProjectOrganizer does basically nothing with sessions and uses Geany's
> session management.

Well, in that regard, I didn't make Djynn to extend Geany, but rather
modify to do what I needed. As such, I've also changed the built in
commenting function, I wanted the comments at start of lines, not at the
indent, etc. Also, most functionality is based on how Geany worked in 2012,
and at that time GProject didn't do things my way, so to speak. I had been
working with CodeBlocks, and wanted a similar yet simpler project
environment. It was never intended as anything but for personal usage.

> I don't think it's so different, IMO the only big extra things in Djynn
are
> the workspace management and session management.

Perhaps you should have a look at the plugin? They work quite differently
from what I can see. I'll upload a corrected version to Launchpad this
evening, have a meeting today.

> I can describe the vision of PorjectOrganizer. What I tried to make was a
> file-aware Geany project (Geany itself doesn't know about the files, it
> just stores base directory, build options and some common settings for
> project) in a minimalistic way and reuse as much as possible from Geany
> itself without duplicating functionality.

Sorry, but I wasn't as considerate in making Djynn, it was not designed to
extend Geany, but to modify, as I wrote earlier.

I'll return in a few hours and respond to the rest then. Thank you for your
reply, and have a good day!

Regards,
Per