[Geany-Devel] Github Comment Mails

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sat Aug 22 07:51:49 UTC 2015

On 22/08/15 02:03, Lex Trotman wrote:
> On 22 August 2015 at 09:54, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

>>> Nice idea.
>>> The mailing list itself would be no problem at all. It's more difficult
>>> to get the data from Github.
>>> On https://github.com/geany/geany/settings/hooks there is "services" and
>>> they support "Email" but it will send mails only on pushes, not what we
>>> want.
>>> An alternative would a web hook where you can choose detailed on which
>>> events the hook is triggered. But then you need something on the
>>> receiving side which takes the event and transform it into a mail to
>>> send it to the mailing list. Possible but requires some work.
>>>
>>> I just had a quick look at the available other services
>>> (https://api.github.com/hooks) to find one which support commit and PR
>>> comments and support something self-hosted (i.e. no new dependency on
>>> some third-party service) but didn't find anything suitable.
>>>
>>> One more option might be to use the Geany Github account and watch the
>>> Geany repositories with this account to get notifications this way.
>>> We just need to take care to setup a separate email address in the
>>> Github account settings for notifications because the primary address
>>> will be used for account settings/notifications/password resets. Those
>>> should not be sent to a public mailing list :).
>>> Should be possible and probably the easiest way.
>>>
>>> If you agree, I could work on this.
>>>

>> Sounds like a good idea.
>>
>> Did you look at the Github API proper? We could probably hack up a script to
>> harvest the comments that way (it's really easy to use IIRC, it's just some
>> URL queries and JSON responses). It might still need a service hook or cron
>> event or something to trigger, but it might be workable.
>
> Could probably just get them daily for this purpose.

I don't which way to go.
Grabbing the comments from the API is possible as I said above, I know
the API is quite easy to use, did so for the IRC commit messages and the
commit mails.

The Geany account notifications are very quick to setup. I don't
volunteer to write a script using the Github API although easy. If you
want to, I'd be happy to help setting it up if necessary.